of the Center for Children's Books
|The Bulletin Dozen is a monthly theme-based booklist
available as an online-only Bulletin feature. Since we're awfully
fond of bakers here at the Bulletin, we thought we'd adopt their
philosophy of generosity and throw in an extra one or two when we have them
to offer--so don't expect an even dozen. Please feel free to copy, download,
or link to these lists. We ask only that you cite the source. See the archive for lists from previous months.
School Days: An Early Academic
--selected by Debra Mitts-Smith
As we move into September the long, free days of summer are becoming
a distant memory. Class bells that have lain dormant for the past two
months are once again marking time. Empty bulletin boards are decorated
or littered with papers celebrating students' progress. New boxes of crayons,
paints, and paste jars await to be opened. Some young children are, like
some of the characters found in this month's Dozens, facing the first
day of school. For others it is the preparation of science fair projects,
the participation in school programs, or the act of reading out loud that
causes excitement or worry. In one story, it's the trip to school that's
the subject, as a young student making his way to the bus stop on a snowy
day hears the phrase that brings instant joy to every student's heart:
"SNOW DAY!" And rounding out this month's selection is a book
celebrates the best day of all, the last day!
- Alter, Anna. Francine's Day; written and illus. by Anna Alter.
Greenwillow, 2003. 3-6 yrs
Francine doesn't want to get out of bed, get dressed, or go to school. (BCCB
- Boelts, Maribeth. When It's the Last Day of School; illus. by
Hanako Wakiyama. Putnam, 2004. 5-8 yrs
It's the last day of school and James promises to follow the teacher's rules,
praise the cafeteria staff on their cooking, and clean out his desk, before
he explodes! (BCCB 6/04)
- Dayl, Niki. Once upon a Time; written and illus. by Niki Daly.
Farrar, 2003. 6-9 yrs
It's not the long walk to school that bothers Sarie. It's school-especially
reading out loud. (BCCB 4/03)
- Dyer, Jane. Little Bear Won't Go to School; written and illus.
by Jane Dyer. Little, 2003. 4-6 yrs
Little Bear decides that he would rather go to work than to school. (BCCB
- Harris, Robie H. I Am NOT Going to School Today; illus. by Jan
Omerod. McElderry, 2003. 4-8 yrs
A young boy decides that going to school on the "very first day of school"
is not a good idea. (BCCB 9/03)
- Hoffman, Mary. The Color of Home; illus. by Karin Littlewood.
Fogelman, 2002. 5-8 yrs
Hassan, a newly arrived refugee from Somalia, expresses his longing and sorrow
through pictures of his homeland. (BCCB 10/02)
- McGhee, Alison. Countdown to Kindergarten; illus. by Harry Bliss.
Silver Whistle/Harcourt, 2002. 4-6 yrs
It's ten days before kindergarten, and a kindergartener-to-be is worried that
she can't tie her shoes by herself. (BCCB 10/02)
- O'Malley, Kevin. Straight to the Pole; written and illus, by Kevin
O'Malley. Walker, 2003. 4-7 yrs
A snowy morning means more than a harrowing trek to the bus stop. (BCCB 12/03)
- O'Neill, Alexis. The Recess Queen; illus. by Laura Huliska-Beith.
Scholastic, 2002. 5-8 yrs
Mean Jean the Recess Queen meets her match in Katie Sue. (BCCB 3/02)
- Rockwell, Anne. Becoming Butterflies; illus. by Megan Halsey.
Walker, 2002. 4-7 yrs
Over a period of several weeks Miss Dana's class watch as three caterpillars
become butterflies. (BCCB 5/02)
- Saltzberg, Barney. Crazy Hair Day; written and illus. by Barney
Saltzberg. Candlewick, 2003. 5-8 yrs
Gelled, colored, and wrapped, Stanley is ready for crazy hair day-a week early.
- Smothers, Ethel Footman. The Hard-Times Jar; illus. by John Holyfield.
Foster/Farrar, 2003. 6-9 yrs
As her family falls the crops north to Pennsylvania, Emma is surprised to
learn that she will be going to school instead of helping pick apples. (BCCB
- Stuve-Bodeen, Stephanie. Elizabeti's School; illus. by Christy
Hale. Lee & Low, 2002. 5-7 yrs
As Elizabeti nears the schoolyard, her excitement about beginning school begins
to wane. (BCCB 12/02)
- Wells, Rosemary. Timothy's Tales from Hilltop School; written
and illus. by Rosemary Wells. Viking, 2002. 5-8 yrs
Follow Timothy and his classmates as they make science fair projects, attend
birthday parties, and participate in school activities. (BCCB 10/02)
[Back to the Bulletin Homepage]
This page was last updated on September 1, 2004.